Once a county asylum that was first opened in 1848, it was replaced by Tone Vale Hospital in 1897.
Mentally infirm patients and long-stay elderly were housed until here until it finally closed in 1991, when the buildings were converted into houses and apartments.

Renowned architect Sir George Gilbert Scott, known for many outstanding designs such as Pancras Station-London, the Albert Memorial-London,
Brill Swimming Baths-Brighton and, the worlds tallest building from 1874 to 1876, St Nicholas’ church-Hamburg, was the principal architect.